Sunday, June 19, 2016

Donald Trump threatens to self-fund campaign if GOP support wavers


LAS VEGAS — Donald Trump on Saturday claimed most of the money he's been collecting at his recent fundraisers is going to the Republican Party, but also threatened to cut the GOP off if support from the party wavers.
"Right now I'm raising a lot of money for the Republican Party, and a lot of beneficiaries to that, and I like doing it," Trump said.
"Life is like a two-way street, right?" Trump said. "They have to [help], otherwise I'll just keep doing what I'm doing, I'll just keep funding my own campaign...for me, that's the easy way," he said.
Trump's candidacy has been problematic for some in the GOP. Some Republican delegates in Colorado are moving forward with a plan to oust Trump at the party's convention.
And House Speaker Paul Ryan on Friday said he wouldn't instruct House members to vote for Trump, saying they should vote their conscience.
Trump in Las Vegas Saturday dismissed efforts to oust him at the convention as a "hoax" that was "made up by the press."
"First of all, it's illegal. Second of all, you can't do it. Third of all, we, not me, we got 14, almost 14 million votes, 14 million votes in the primary system," he said of the fledgling but growing movement to change the Republican National Convention rules to allow even delegates bound to Trump to vote against him based on their "conscience."
Trump also pointed out the grassroots effort haven't tapped an alternative.
"Who were they going to pick? I've beat everybody," Trump said. "But I don't mean beat, I beat the hell out of them, right? Beat the hell out of them."

No comments:

Post a Comment

CollegeCartoons 2024