Presumptuous Politics : S.C.: Darline Graham touts Trump’s agenda in political speech ahead of special Senate primary

Monday, August 3, 2026

S.C.: Darline Graham touts Trump’s agenda in political speech ahead of special Senate primary

WASHINGTON, DC - JULY 14: U.S. Sen. Darline Graham Nordone (R-SC) participates in a ceremonial swearing-in in the Old Senate Chamber at the U.S. Capitol on July 14, 2026 in Washington, DC. Nordone was appointed by South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster following the death of her brother, U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham. (Photo by Finn Gomez/Getty Images)
U.S. Sen. Darline Graham Nordone (R-SC) participates in a ceremonial swearing-in in the Old Senate Chamber at the U.S. Capitol on July 14, 2026 in Washington, DC. U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham.

Facing a tight one-week deadline to win over South Carolina Republicans, United States Senator Darline Graham made her first campaign speech, sharing with hundreds of voters that entering politics was never her plan before her brother Lindsey Graham’s unexpected passing.

Graham (R-S.C.) is filling out the remainder of her late brother’s Senate term following his sudden passing on July 11th from an aortic tear.

The special primary election for South Carolina, set for August 11th, will determine the Republican nominee to replace Lindsey on the November general election ballot.

“I certainly never expected to be on this stage, giving this stump speech,” Graham said in the opening of her speech in Lexington. “I’ve never had any desire to be a politician. I’m here today because I’m answering President Trump’s call to serve. I want to stand up for South Carolina, and I want to fight for President Trump’s agenda.”

  

Graham acknowledged that while she had not spent decades in politics, she has a firm grasp on everyday life applications of federal policy, such as budgeting and health care.

“Lindsey was an expert on the federal budget, I’m an expert on the family budget,” she declared.

All nine hopefuls at Saturday’s event had five minutes to speak on stage, attempting to earn the crowd’s favor.

 

The other eight candidates were former Governor Mark Sanford, U.S. Representative Ralph Norman (R-S.C.) U.S. Representative Russell Fry (R-S.C.), attorney Duke Buckner, businessman Mark Lynch, former Mayor Mark McBride, retired Air Force officer Glenda Gail Parker and entrepreneur Sam Shepherd.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

CartoonDems