Presumptuous Politics : 'If a bunch of goobers run': Senator Kennedy considers 2028 presidential bid

Monday, October 5, 2026

'If a bunch of goobers run': Senator Kennedy considers 2028 presidential bid

US Senator John Kennedy, Republican of Louisiana, speaks during a Senate Appropriations Committee hearing on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, on June 10, 2025. (Photo by TING SHEN/AFP via Getty Images)

Louisiana Senator John Kennedy floated a potential 2028 presidential run during an interview with NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

Speaking with journalist Kristen Welker on Sunday, Kennedy (R-La.) indicated a presidential campaign was on the table, though he gave no definite decision.

“My plans right now are to run for reelection. But as I’ve said before, if I don’t think I can be effective in the Senate anymore, I would consider it,” he told Welker. “What’s the old Judds song, ‘Why not me on a rainy day?’…But I haven’t made a decision.”

Kennedy noted, however, that his decision would lean heavily on who else would throw their hats in the ring on the GOP side.

 

“On my side of the aisle, if a bunch of goobers run, and I think they’re goobers, and one of the goobers might win, and I think I could do a better job, I would consider running,” he added. “But right now, I’m running for reelection.”

The Louisiana senator is currently serving his second term as the Pelican State’s junior senator and has gained fame for his down-to-earth humor and pointed one-liners.

Vice President JD Vance is also widely believed to be a potential candidate for the 2028 presidential election, though he has indicated he will hold off on making decisions until after midterms.

Welker noted that Vance would likely be a candidate, asking Kennedy, “Why should Republican voters pick you over JD Vance?”

Kennedy refrained from answering directly and instead remarked, “I’m not going to talk about another potential candidate. I’m just not there yet.”

Credit:  https://www.oann.com/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

CartoonDems